Geo-referencing Imagery: UWF Campus 3D Scene

 

3D Scene of UWF Campus
The 3D scene depicted above is the location of the University of West Florida. I was tasked to build a 3D display of the campus, including buildings, imagery, newly developed roads, and take into account lidar data for elevation. This project began with geo-referencing the two image files using control points to building polygons that were already collected around the campus. After I was able to complete this task with a low RMSE (error) I quickly created a new building feature class for a building that was not in our buildings layer but was clearly constructed recently on campus. I added a new road as well using a engineering survey from the facilities department to identify the new road feature class. 

For a more accurate terrain and elevation layer of the campus, I took the Lidar dataset from an LAS file and converted it from a DEM to a raster. I was able to display this layer as my elevation layer which then allowed me to layer the different datasets on top of it. The biggest take of the scene above is to identify the new building (UWF Gym) and road (UWF Campus Road) depicted in purple for visitors to be familiar with the location on campus. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIN's vs. DEM's: 3D Elevation Models In Arc GIS Pro

Bobwhite-Manatee Project: Intro to GIS 11418 GIS5050 Final Project

Isarithmic Mapping: Annual Rainfall in Washington